Thursday, February 28, 2019

Kimberly Dress

I needed a new dress. No reason. Just sick of the ones I have. After looking at lots of patterns and fabrics, I finally settled on the Kimberly dress by Athina Kakau.

Based on my measurements I decided to size up at the waist and cut everything else a straight size. I ended up taking the waist in, so I should have just stuck with the one size. This dress has darts and an invisible zipper. I really liked her tip for the darts - she recommends pulling the bobbin thread through and tying a knot to secure the end of the dart. I think her directions for the zipper could have been more complete - I haven't done an invisible zipper in years! BUT - there are lots of great tutorials online that can help you through it. I used "How to sew an invisible zipper step by step by Angela Wolf". She tells you to sew REALLY close to the zipper teeth when you are sewing the second side. I thought I did - but I didn't realize HOW close. When she says to sew right next to the teeth, she means RIGHT NEXT TO THE TEETH! I had to unpick it to get a truly invisible zipper. However, in the end, I think it turned out really nicely!!



Some other things to be aware of....this pattern is not suitable for 42-45" wide fabric. It has to be the wider 56-60" fabric. Most woven fabric comes in the narrower width - so be careful! Otherwise you will wind up piecing a wider piece together to cut your skirt out. I didn't notice this, and got lucky when I bought my fabric.

I love the drape of the rayon I used. But I also knew I wanted to use a contrasting fabric for the hem band. I bought the beige linen I used as well as the sheer lace with the intent of double layering them and using them for the hem band. I got it all done and the lace made the hem band too stiff, I didn't like it at all. I unpicked the hem band and tried it with just the linen which I liked much better. I then used the lace to make the tie - I love it there!!



I wish that the pattern had given me help with how much contrast fabric I would need. I figured I would be able to make it from 1/2 yard fabric - but I was wrong. I had to make a second trip to JoAnn's to get more fabric. Luckily, they still had the same fabric. The hem band piece is basically a rectangle 56-60 inches long by 10.5 inches wide cut on grain. You cut two of these. You can piece it if you need to - so knowing that, if you want a contrasting band you should be able to figure out how much fabric you need. (2/3 yard if your fabric is wide enough - otherwise 1 - 1 1/3 yards)

Why do I learn everything the hard way?? I was leaving on a weekend trip to Arizona and really wanted to take this dress. All I had left to do was the tie - so I hurried and finished it and made it half the length it was meant to be (which meant it barely tied) and twice the width. I didn't realize this until I got to Arizona and went to wear the dress. I decided I liked the (unintentional) width of the tie, but I wanted it longer. Upon returning home I was able to unpick the end and add some more length to it.



It was raining when I was wearing the dress in Arizona - so no good pictures anyway!

Finally....The dress has POCKETS!!!! Gotta be excited about that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment