Sunday, March 17, 2019

Adjustments are good!!







I picked up this yummy fabric when I was in Germany late last year.



My husband was working in Stuttgart and I had been stalking sewing Instagram accounts and wanted to start sewing more clothing, but hadn't started in earnest yet, so I spent a day taking the bus and train from one fabric store to another and checking out all the fabric stores in town. I found this fabric at a great little store called Esro jersey fabric sales E. K.



They were super nice to me even though I speak almost no German! AFTER purchasing the fabric and getting it home I realized I really wish I had gotten the information about the fabric content. Unfortunately, all I can tell you is it is a knit jersey of some type. Super soft and drapey.... I had a pattern in mind, but changed my mind because I think this fabric was too stretchy. When I had the Sienna Knit Dolman fail then I realized that this fabric would make a beautiful Sienna Knit Dolman top. I measured myself and my measurements fit exactly to one size (that's kind of crazy....that never happens!!).

I decided to lengthen the sleeves. I have short arms. Because the sleeve is the same piece as the front and back, if your arms are very long, you may have trouble getting a long sleeved version to fit on your fabric. But I digress. This sewed up quickly and beautifully - but after wearing it a few times I decided it was really a little too big.

Sometimes I get frustrated by the adjustments that are always required with garment sewing. However, I'm teaching myself to think differently about it (a good skill for most things in life!!). Adjustments usually don't take that long in the big scheme of things and the payoffs are huge!! I now LOVE the fit of my Sienna Dolman top!!



To adjust it, I had to remove the neckband and then I took in the shoulder seams. This made the neck opening less gaping and took up some of the excess in the sleeves. I also cut off the sleeve hem and re-hemmed. I seem to always underestimate how short my arms are. When I had sewn the neckband on the first time, I top-stitched around it with a double needle. I like this look a lot, but it seemed to stretch the neck out a bit. It didn't look terrible, but I was a little disappointed. It also made removing the neckband a real pain! However, once I got it off, made the adjustments, and sewed it back on, I omitted the top-stitching and I think it looks better! No before pictures for you, because I'm still getting the hang of this blog documenting thing....but look at these cute ties that make some really nice ruching!! Love this detail!


No comments:

Post a Comment